Multiplayer fun can often be enjoyed fully on a mobile screen, and plenty of games exploit that fact. Since mobile users are almost always online, playing against other people always seem to be more fun than against the AI.
Brawl Stars successfully exploits that fact and brings us a top-down cartoonish shooter, which can only be played online against other people. The gameplay is quite simple and easy to learn: you move a virtual joystick using your left hand and you aim with your right hand.
Releasing the aim button fires a shot. You can also simply tap the shooting button to automatically fire at the closest enemy. Hitting shots refills your special powers, which can really be useful.
Unfortunately, the game only allows you to play one game mode before you gain more experience. The main game modes include Gem Grab (available from start) and Showdown. Other events are either special or they change on a daily basis.
In Gem Grab, there is a Gem Mine in the middle, and it produces gems. The goal is to gather 10 of them and hold them for the duration of the countdown in order to win. You can get them at the Gem Mine or from fallen enemies. The games are 3v3 and wait times are often very short.
The gameplay is satisfying enough and there are many different characters (Brawlers) with different weapons and signature moves. However, it seems that there isn't that much depth in it and it probably won't keep you busy for days. Still, it's worth giving it a shot!
• Free to play and easy to learn
• The gameplay is satisfying and there are plenty of characters to choose from and upgrade
• Many game modes unlock as you progress
• Its cartoonish style looks good on a mobile screen
• It can appear to be repetitive as there isn't that much depth to it
• There are loads of in-app purchases which can definitely make the game easier
• You can only play one game mode before you level up